Besides being a great introduction to gating and expansion, the review details all features in Pro-G, concluding: “Pro-G is another invaluable dynamics plug-in from FabFilter” and “FabFilter’s slick, innovative interface makes Pro-G a joy to use.”
Following the very well-received Pro-L limiter, Pro-Q equalizer and Pro-C compressor plug-ins, FabFilter Pro-G is a top-quality gate/expander plug-in with flexible side chain routing options and a streamlined, well-designed user interface. Equipped with linear-phase oversampling, mid/side processing and precise metering, Pro-G is an indispensable addition to the FabFilter tool kit.
FabFilter Pro-G offers five meticulously fine-tuned algorithms, including classic analog models and upward expansion, as well as specific designs for vocal and guitar processing. In combination with the adjustable threshold, ratio, range settings and attack, release, hold and look-ahead times, Pro-G will process your drum and vocal tracks smoothly and with character. At the same time, Pro-G is also the perfect tool to subtly and precisely restore lost dynamics while mastering.
FabFilter Pro-G’s prominent real-time level display and accurate meters smartly combine input, output and gain reduction levels, giving you immediate insight in the plug-in’s dynamic behavior. Together with the transfer curve and threshold level feedback, choosing the right settings at the right time couldn’t be easier.
A click on the Expert button will resize the interface to make space for additional external side-chain input and side-chain filtering controls. The expert panel contains wet/dry level and panning controls, and allows the side-chain path and linking to be set up in any way imaginable. The interface conveniently adapts its size to reveal the expert controls only when needed, making it just as easy to use FabFilter Pro-G as a straightforward gate, or as a full-featured creative expander.
FabFilter Pro-G Top Features
- Five meticulously tuned expander/gate algorithms, including upward expansion
- Program dependent attack and release curves
- Low CPU usage
- Adjustable range, hold time and knee settings
- Optional look-ahead time up to 10 ms
- Precise and helpful metering, including a real-time level display
- Expert mode that offers highly customizable side chain options
- Mono, stereo or mid/side processing
- Up to four times linear-phase oversampling
- Zero-latency operation mode
- External side chain option
- MIDI triggering: open the gate/expander with your MIDI keyboard
- Separate dry/wet level settings
- Easy to set up for common gating / expansion scenarios with the included factory presets
- Double-click text entry of parameter values
- Stereo and mono plug-ins available
- MIDI Learn
- Undo/redo and A/B comparison
- Smart Parameter Interpolation
- Extensive help file with interactive help hints
- Available in AU, VST, VST 3, RTAS and AS formats for Mac OS X and Windows
FabFilter Pro-G is available for EUR 129, USD 174 or GBP 114, supporting both Windows and Mac OS X in VST and VST 3, Audio Units, RTAS and AudioSuite plug-in formats. Bundles with FabFilter Pro-G and other FabFilter plug-ins are also available. See www.fabfilter.com/shop.
Sources: FabFilter Press Release